TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Differential Backlash, Clunk-> Replace or Shim?
People Seeking Info

Subject Differential Backlash, Clunk-> Replace or Shim?

Posted by flashstar on April 12, 2015 at 12:04 AM
  This message has been viewed 1229 times.

Message While my all-consuming head project is cooking, I thought I'd tackle some other Z gremlins. Since swapping to a manual transmission, I've been hearing an annoying clunk. The clunking is only really bad when letting the clutch off (engaging gear) or when accelerating quickly.

At first I suspected worn rear differential bushings, however these seem OK. Going to replace them anyway... Motor mounts, transmission mount, and drive shaft are all new. I'm also using subframe spacers.

I then checked for differential gear lash and noticed a decent amount on the driver side. Please see this video for the clunk I'm hearing and the backlash in the shaft:

Differential Backlash Noise?

The passenger side has a bit less backlash.

Anyway this clunk seem similar to the one I'm hearing while driving. Do you think it's worth "shimming" or should I just look for a newer differential? Could this be the source of the mystery clunk anyway? The drain plug is seized (my fault as a newbie in 2009) and the diff has 168,000 miles. I could heat up the cover and probably remove the drain plug but I wonder if it's even worth messing with this differential?

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.